The Ozark Rivers Solid Waste Management District (ORSWMD) provides assistance to communities to achieve a waste reduction of 40%. This is accomplished through community grants, reuse and recycling programs and educational programs for district schools and media awareness. The district covers a seven-county region that includes Crawford, Dent, Gasconade, Maries, Phelps, Pulaski and Washington counties.
ORSWMD is governed by a full council and executive board made up of local elected officials and their appointees, and receives input from an advisory committee of local citizens and industry representatives.
Programs supported by the district’s community grant program include:
– Special Collections for items like electronic waste, tires and
– Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) collection centers for cleaning
products, automotive fluids, etc.
– Educational opportunities for school-aged youth through school
assemblies, Earth Day poster and trash art contests and solid waste
– Community Recycling Centers
– School based recycling programs
– School based food composting programs
– Illegal Dump Clean Up programs